Patient Safety Online Programme for Doctors
The RCSI Institute of Leadership and Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (RCPI) were funded by Health Service Executive (HSE) through the Forum of Postgraduate Medical Training Bodies to develop a Patient Safety Online Programme for Doctors. The Colleges and Clinical Indemnity Scheme developed the programme with expertise from a range of stakeholders. A steering group was formed which was led by Ms Siobhan McCarthy, Lecturer at the RCSI Institute of Leadership and Dr Ann O'Shaughnessy, Head of Professional Development, RCPI. The programme is available to all the medical training bodies and has mandatory status in the RCPI. The programme consists of eight modules (Figure 1).
To view the full programme, please register your interest with Siobhan McCarthy.
The core of each module is a filmed case study based on real life events supplemented by video based input from patient safety experts including family and medical representatives. Experts featured are representative of:
- Clinical Indemnity Scheme
- Commission on Patient Safety and Quality Assurance
- Health Protection Surveillance Centre, HSE
- Irish College of General Practitioners
- Irish Medication Safety Network
- Medication Safety Work Programme, HSE
- National Medicines Information Centre, St James’s Hospital
- Patient Advocacy Groups - Mrs Margaret Murphy & MRSA and Families Network
- Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
- Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Participants complete a series of interactive and reflective questions on key content during each module. Progression through each module is supported by a learning host and a commentary delivered by a professional voiceover artist. Each module is approximately 30 minutes in length and participants came complete multiple choice questions at the end of each module.
For further details please contact the Programme Co-ordinator Ms Siobhan McCarthy firstname.lastname@example.org.